Here’s a recipe that I’m recalling from memory. If you’re looking for something light to eat that doesn’t require cooking on the many hot days ahead this summer, you’re sure to love this recipe! I found it on the back of a bottle of Heinz white vinegar twenty-odd years ago, and it was so good (and easy) that I didn’t even need to write it down, although I do have the label somewhere around here….
I remember having my doubts about it at the time, because up to that point, I don’t think I’d ever eaten canned tuna without mayonnaise; the entire idea of tuna salad without mayo seemed almost alien to me. I really did think that it would be too dry without it…but I was pleasantly surprised.
You can make a single serving for one or a large serving for many; the choice is yours. Amounts are general, so you can add as many or as little of anything as you like, according to your taste.
Here’s what you’ll need:
Canned tuna in water (regular or albacore, your choice)
Oil (olive oil or another type of healthy oil)
Chopped, fresh, ripe tomatoes
Sour cream or regular, plain yogurt
Corn tortilla chips, unflavored (Tostitos are our favorite, and they come in a “scoop” variety, too)
Sweet onions, minced OR spring onions OR chives (optional)
Fresh parsley, chopped (optional)
1. Drain the tuna and empty into a dish or bowl; separate the flakes with a fork and mix-in the minced onions (or spring onions or chives), if desired, and salt and pepper to taste.
2. Clean and chop the tomatoes into bite-sized pieces and arrange over the tuna.
3. Mix (shake) the oil and vinegar in a separate covered container, and drizzle over the tuna and tomatoes.
4. Top with a dollop of sour cream or plain yogurt and sprinkle with fresh parsley, if desired.
5. Eat with corn chips, making sure you get a little bit of every ingredient with each bite.
Come to think of it, you could probably throw everything on a crispy taco shell (omitting the chips) and eat it like that, too! If you try it that way, please let everyone here know how it turned out
The really awesome part about this recipe (besides its deliciousness) is that it’s light but satisfying at the same time. Also, if you look at the individual ingredients, it’s quite healthy – it doesn’t get much better than eating something that’s both tasty AND good for you.
For a printer-friendly .pdf copy of this recipe, CLICK HERE.